UPDATE - Life, website, forums, stuff...

A re-hash of the rules and guidelines. Website information is published here, along with any issues. New members might also like to introduce themselves here.
toxation
Site Admin

UPDATE - Life, website, forums, stuff...

Postby toxation » Mon May 23, 2016 9:17 pm

Hi to all after such a long hiatus. It's amazing how fast time flies and how things change along the way.

I've been absent from posting in the forum for such a long time. I used to love using forums, but as I've got older, I've lost that appreciation for them. But it isn't just my lack of enthusiasm that has got in the way.

I'm busy, like, 50+ hour working weeks busy. I work two jobs, play sport and am involved in some community activities. It makes for very little free time. My modelling has taken a hit, and my websites moreso. On top of this, I have a house, which requires upkeep. I never thought that it would take as much out of me as it has, but I guess things are never as expected. So after washing dishes, gardening, watering, ironing and god knows what else after getting home from work on Sunday at 3pm, I don't feel like much else after dinner, let alone picking up a soldering iron or taking to the keyboard. And work starts again the next day. Even my poor videogames, which would have been my biggest childhood pastime, are hardly touched these days.

It's all too easy to sit down and turn on the TV and do nothing.

To add insult to injury, my computer is slowly failing and I haven't been savvy enough to funnel money away for a new one. It shouldn't be long now before I am forced to. OS X died on me, so I'm using Windows through Boot Camp and have managed to backup my files in a timely fashion in preparation. It's quite sad and ironic, because I had got back into the swing of things with Dreamweaver for another website I maintain, and am now in the process of refreshing VR-Enthusiast from the ground up. Further, I'm half way though making a new set of V/Line decals and a new set of locomotive number plates (2 years in the making).

Anyhow, some HTML writing (loose term) has piqued my interest once more, and seeing my A2 in the current June 2016 issue of AMRM (had to plug that in there, and it most certainly did have number boards! A2s have no cabside numbers...) has provided some inspiration to get into models again. I have to make the most of it, because that inspiration seems to strike less often these days.

In terms of the forum and the website, I am amazed the forum is still in use, perhaps slightly less regularly, but still. Apologies to all those new users over the past 12 months that have signed up but I haven't activated. The method for activation was intentional, to stop bots and trolls from signing up, and it works. This will continue, I'll just have to be more vigilant to activate users.

Facebook really has taken a large swathe of numbers from forums globally, but the two can probably co-exist. I use Facebook basically because it's easy. It's user friendly (in the sense that you push a button and a post or photo are shared and hosted, all in one step). So the question will be whether to leave the forum and start a FB page, or, maintain the forum and start a FB page in conjunction. Either way, the forum firmware will soon not be supported, and needs to be updated. There will almost certainly be a downtime while that occurs, when I find the time to do it.

The website pulls some impressive numbers. I don't know how it compares to manufacturers, but for example the search string Victorian Railways models in Google returns it as the second listed search result. The numbers haven't really declined (despite the decline in my care-factor) so it would be a pity to dismantle it entirely. Now that my layout is progressing somewhat, I reckon I can generate some interesting content to maintain interest. It will also provide (hopefully) some scenery for photography.

That's probably all for now. A belated welcome to the new members (if you actually visit now that your accounts are activated!) and apologies for it taking so long to activate them.
Nick White

IainS

Re: UPDATE - Life, website, forums, stuff...

Postby IainS » Wed May 25, 2016 7:35 am

Nick,

I think many of us can sympathise with the pressures of work and life (especially for us self-employed consultants) and my latest project sits semi-complete on the desk behind me because of lack of time and enthusiasm. So it is good that you have found some time to model and regain your enthusiasm.

I think forums are a better place for long form discussions on questions relating to modeling in detail and so are valuable as well as FB groups of which there are many). if you need any help I am sure there are people on this page who will put there hands up to assist.

Iain

vrb60

Postby vrb60 » Wed May 25, 2016 9:08 am

Nick,
I concur with Ian.
Forums are a far better place for discussion and airing views. The greatest advantage with a forum such as this is that a reference point is always available for archival purposes. This is not so with FB which is more show and go.

regards Ron.

Jacob Franklin

Postby Jacob Franklin » Thu May 26, 2016 11:49 am

Hi Nick
New member here, and yes I do still visit this forum months after applying to join!
A forum is far better to me than a FB page would be - on numerous occasions I have found topics on this site among others from 5 or so years ago about things I am trying to research which would not happen on a FB page.
Jacob.

james13

Postby james13 » Mon May 30, 2016 8:48 pm

Hi Nick,
Welcome back. :lol: Please keep the forum running as some of us don't do the whole FB thing and don't particularly want to start. I find the forums great for genuine information from a group of great people. I am also looking forward to some of the new numberboard projects (especially the C class steam) when they get done and I.enjoy seeing the fine work that people post photos of.
Cheers
James
Modelling the trains I like

TheMeddlingMonk

Postby TheMeddlingMonk » Tue Jun 21, 2016 9:30 am

Hi Nick,

Good to hear from you again. I, too, can empathise with the pressures of life and can understand how suddenly months or years have passed since you last worked on a project.

Please keep the forum running, as it's a valuable resource and preserves information for future use.

Kind Regards,
The Meddling Monk

Return to “Welcome to the VR-Enthusiast forums!”