Trackage

Discussion and happenings with a possible modular layout by members of the forum.
henry

Re: Trackage

Postby henry » Tue Oct 04, 2011 1:34 am

Going a tad of topic here but... When I eventually get around to building a layout is there a massive difference between code 100 & 75? As I have a lot of code 100 track at home but I have been told to buy code 75 as I am doing VR... Is it going to be a big change or not bother?
Cheers,
Henry
Steamrail Victoria Member & Volunteer
Essendon Model Railway Member
Photography: http://www.flickr.com/photos/henrysrailwaygallery/

S301

Postby S301 » Tue Oct 04, 2011 8:47 am

Just a thought...

If we went with code 75, would we still be able to run with the Free-Mo-AU standard?

As has been said, an adapter piece (even just a short adapter module) would work... Actually, there's a thought... A module representing progressive re-laying of track from 'lighter' to 'heavier' rails! :lol:

Zec
A beat of 6... The heartbeat of an S class...
All comments are my own unless otherwise stated.

forthbrdge

Postby forthbrdge » Tue Oct 04, 2011 1:49 pm

henry wrote:Going a tad of topic here but... When I eventually get around to building a layout is there a massive difference between code 100 & 75? As I have a lot of code 100 track at home but I have been told to buy code 75 as I am doing VR... Is it going to be a big change or not bother?

If you are making a serious go at it I would recommend Code 83 or lower. Personally I think the big thing is the tie spacing and size, which is tougher to match exactly to the VR standard.

Here is a picture showing Code 100 atlas track in the foreground with it's fat chunky ties, and then Micro-engineering Code 100 in the two track adjacent to the station platform, and finally Micro-engineering Code 70 next to the goods shed. For me the difference between the ties is far more noticeable than the difference in the rail height.

If you have Atlas Code 100 I would say keep it to use for hidden tracks, and use the nice stuff out there for the world to see.

henry

Postby henry » Tue Oct 04, 2011 8:56 pm

Thanks on that forthbrdge... I have about 60 lengths plus points of PECO code 100.
Cheers,
Henry
Steamrail Victoria Member & Volunteer
Essendon Model Railway Member
Photography: http://www.flickr.com/photos/henrysrailwaygallery/

Return to “VR-Enthusiast Module Layout”