Discussion and happenings with a possible modular layout by members of the forum.
John McTaggart

Re: Location

Postby John McTaggart » Thu Sep 15, 2011 7:56 am

Hey guys, What about Serviceton during the 1950s to 1970s period depicting the flat wheat growing Wimmera Plans for simple construction, a fantastic station (which is still there) engine service facilities for VR and SAR locomotives a typical Wimmera Silo and associated infrastucture. This would keep our broad gauge brothers across the border happy.

S301

Postby S301 » Thu Sep 15, 2011 9:51 am

Hi John
I really think Serviceton is far too large a station for this. Particularly since it's a modula layout, where each person builds a section themselves to bring along, with them joining in practically any order.

The Serviceton line (aka Melbourne to Ballarat to Serviceton) might be an option (as I said, I'm looking at Ballan in future anyways :) ).

Zec
A beat of 6... The heartbeat of an S class...
All comments are my own unless otherwise stated.

VRfan

Postby VRfan » Thu Sep 15, 2011 1:21 pm

I do not think we should have any less than double track. It allows more scope for running trains, which is what we all want.

forthbrdge

Postby forthbrdge » Thu Sep 15, 2011 3:02 pm

VRfan wrote:I do not think we should have any less than double track. It allows more scope for running trains, which is what we all want.

This can be a source of friction, especially amongst members that don't have a permanent layout. There are only so many hours during an exhibition and that means for some members only a few hours of running trains each year for their efforts. If the layout design can only run one main line train at a time that may translate into only an hour or so of operation. If a freemo design with a single main is used, it may be a good idea to have some "club" modules with passing loops that are brought to every exhibition.

"Club" modules would be a good thing to consider when looking into a system. I can see the advantage in freemo that there is less in the way of mandatory modules. Circuit modular layouts are dependent on the four corners arriving, and in many cases these modules are owned by the club, hence the need for "club" modules. Geezer gates and staging yard modules are also good examples of club modules, both because they are important to operation of the layout and because they can be more costly to build.

Once again more rambling on my part, and for that I apologize. It is fun reading about your plans, it reminds me of the early days of our club five six years ago.

If the logistics weren't so out of reach I would have happily volunteered to join you.

Return to “VR-Enthusiast Module Layout”