Victorian Railways D3 class by Broad Gauge Models.
D3 684 is a Victorian Railways 4-6-0 (ten wheeler) locomotive. The D3 derived from the DD class, one of the most extensive classes of the Victorian steam fleet, with some 260 locomotives. These were built between 1902 and 1922 in several locations, by VR Workshops in both Bendigo and Ballarat, Beyer, Peacok and Co. Ltd. England, the Baldwin Locomotive Works, U.S.A, Thompsons Ltd., Castlemaine, Victoria and Walkers Ltd., Queensland.
Through early years, the DD class underwent some major changes, such as superheating, and more efficient, larger boilers (featuring similar designs to the K class boilers).
As a result, reclassification occurred to reflect the changes. Saturated engines became D1 units, superheated engines became D2 units and the larger boiler varieties became D3 units. D3 684 had the privilege of being one of the last D3 units to be withdrawn in the late '60s.
The locomotive is finished off with a slightly weathered look. Like the K class, it houses a Mashima motor in the firebox which powers the last driving wheel in the loco. Electrical pickup is via the loco on one side and the tender on the other.
The backhead of the locomotive.
The headlight and side lamps feature metallic paint for reflective purposes and the number boards, as was the case during service, are spotlessly clean.
The entire locomotive has been constructed with solder, with exception to the counterweights on the wheels which have been fastened with epoxy.